Study in Korea


Higher Education in Korea

The Korean education is a single-track system, which operates on 6-3-3-4 basis, with six years of elementary school, three years of middle school, three years of high school, and four years at the undergraduate university level . There are nine years of compulsory education, including the six years of elementary school and three years of middle school. One academic year has two semesters, the first semester is from March to August and the second from September to February. There are two vacations, in summer from July to August and in winter from December to February.

Junior Colleges

- Program period : 2~4 years(for nursing 4 years)
- Eligibility : Those who are eligible to meet admission qualifications by each junior colleges
- Purpose : Teach and research professional knowledge and theory about distinctive fields of society, enhance skills necessary for the improvement of the state and train professional personnel
- Curriculum management : Higher vocational curriculum to nurture professionals
a. Practical education curriculum for industry-academia cooperation
b. Efficient laboratory practice and field training
c. Professional education to acquire national technical certificate

Universities & Colleges

Korean universities and colleges offer the following courses.

Degree Program Foreign students can join a degree program offered during the regular semesters with Korean students. Degree programs are taught either in Korean or English, After completion, a degree is awarded.
Exchange Student
Most higher education institutions offer student exchange programs based on academic agreements with universities overseas.
Summer/Winter Program Universities run summer and winter programs offering regular courses and Korean language courses.
Courses taught in English As many Korean universities are keen on internationalization, approximately 30% of courses are taught in English, some universities have a Department of International Studies, which teaches all the courses in English.
Korean Language Courses Many universities have Korean language institutes which offer Korean language courses.
Short intensive courses for three to four weeks aim to improve communication skills. 10 to 40 week intensive programs improve student-'s' communication skills through many practical assignments and cultural activities, which will also enhance the student-'s' understanding about Korea.

Graduate Schools

Graduate schools are divided into general graduate schools within universities which offer academic programs and professional graduate schools which offer practical skills. Master's programs require two or more years of study and 24 academic credits in general. Upon earning all required credits, students must pass a qualification exam, after which they should write and submit their master's thesis. Doctoral programs require three or more years of study and 36 credits in general. After earning all required credits, students must pass a comprehensive qualification exam and write a doctoral thesis. Graduate schools also offer post-doctoral programs for those who want to continue research after acquiring a doctoral degree.

General Information about academic affairs

Course Registration Every year students should register for courses of their choice.
Course Evaluation All the end of a semester, students can make comments and evaluations for their enrolled courses.
Seasonal Semesters
(Summer/Winter School)
During the vacation periods, students can take winter and/or summer school courses for a month, takingregular courses or re-takingcourses in which a failing grade was received.
Leave of Absence After getting permission from a school for a leave of absence, students must leave Korea within 15 days of approval.
Re-registration Students have to apply for re-registration to restart their studies after the leave of absence.
Academic Warning Students receive an academic warning when not having met the minimum requirement of academic competency, which is usually maintaining a GPA of above 1.5~2.0 out of 4.5 but differs depending on specific school regulations. When three warnings have been given, students will be dismissed from the school, which can cause problems for visa extension.
Changing Major Students can change their major with the school approval.
Double majors/Dual degree Students can apply for double major/dual degree programs.
If she/he satisfies all required condition, double degrees can be granted.
English Courses Some courses are delivered 100% in English. Recently many Korean universities have increased the number of English courses to, include more than 100 English courses offered per semester.
Dismissal For various reasons, students can be removed from a school register.
Withdrawal Students can withdraw from a school by submitting the required documents.


Life in Korea

a. Dormitory

Most universities in Korea manage apartments on campus, dormitories, and/or various types of residences. In order to stay in a dormitory students have to follow the application procedures which can be different depending on the university so students should check the process on the university website.

(1) Application period: February for spring semester, August for fall semester
(2) Required documents: dormitory application form and other documents required by each university
(3) Types: a room for 1 person, 2 people or 4 people
(4) Cost: 490,000~1,800,000KRW for one semester (sometimes meals can be included)
(5) Period of stay: 4~6 months
(6) Note: rules and regulations of each university should be checked and followed

b. Boarding House

When a dormitory is not available, the next option is a boarding house. A boarding house provides room and food and receives payment, which differs from room rent without meals. A boarding house is popular for young students because it is a good way to become familiar with Korean lifestyle. However, it is hard to maintain privacy in a boarding house because it is a communal type of residence.

(1) Where to find: many boarding houses available around university campuses

(2) Price: 200,000-1,000,000KRW per month (Depending on cities, the price varies: in Seoul, 350,000KRW - 550,000KRW, in metropolitan cities such Daegu or Busan, 300,000KRW - 500,000KRW, and in other rural areas, less expensive.)

(3) Meal: usually breakfast and dinner are provided at a fixed dining time. (Students should strictly observe the dining time)

(4) How to find: the best way to find a proper house for you is to look for one by yourself. You can refer to the bulletin boards of your college or university. (Some colleges and universities offer housing information through the International Partnership Department). You can also refer to advertisements in newspapers.

(5) Contract: directly contact the landlord of the house and to agree upon the contract.

What can we do for you, so that you can start studying at Study in Korea in South Korea? – official representative of many higher education institutions abroad. We use the proven technologies of searching for academic programs and successful admission strategies, so our customers do not waste time searching for information and taking extra steps. While we are engaged in your admission, you can continue mastering a foreign language or preparing for exams.

  • We give information on studying in South Korea for free;
  • We select the university, school, courses and academic program;
  • We prepare the correct set of documents;
  • We send the application to an educational institution;
  • We apply for scholarships/grants;
  • We help you get a student visa;
  • We organize a transfer to the door of the educational institution.

In order to get a free consultation, just fill out the form below and we will contact you during the working days!

Share with friends
Please, Call Me!